There are so many different kinds of concrete out there, it can be difficult to know which one would best suit the project you’re currently working on. But that’s what we’re here for! The EasyMix team has been steadily working our way through the various kinds of concrete and why you might need them for your project – and this month it’s waterproof concrete.
Waterproof concrete: what it is and what it does
Waterproof concrete is in fact not much different than regular concrete. What sets it apart is the water-resistant admixtures that are put into the mix in order to make the concrete impermeable. While waterproof concrete is great, it’s important to remember that it’s only one stage in the process of creating a fully-impermeable structure!
Here are some of the different places where you might use waterproof concrete:
- Underground parking lots
- Areas with a high water table
- Building areas that are prone to floods or have high rain levels
- High-rise buildings
How waterproof is normal concrete?
This is a question we get asked a lot as there’s a mixture of information out there. Normal concrete, while water-resistant to an extent, is nowhere near fully waterproof. This is because concrete is naturally porous due to the curing process that creates a network of capillaries in its structure.
Waterproof concrete, on the other hand, is completely damp-proof and watertight, this means that everything from soil moisture to pure liquid cannot penetrate it.
- Resilience – One of the main reasons why normal concrete breaks down over time is because moisture permeates its structure and eventually causes it to erode. Waterproof concrete doesn’t have this problem, making it much more resilient.
- Lower maintenance costs – With less erosion to deal with, waterproof concrete will require much less maintenance than traditional concrete, which means you will save a great deal on maintenance costs!
- A clean, fresh look – Given that waterproof concrete won’t deteriorate as quickly over time, it will be much easier to maintain a fresh, clean exterior for the building.
- Prevents damp, mould and mildew – Protecting against erosion isn’t the only reason why waterproofing your concrete is a good idea – it can actually combat damp, mould and mildew too once the structure is complete. This will save you a great deal of money down the line.
- Higher-value structures – Not only will opting for waterproof concrete help you save money down the line by not having to pay for the removal of damp, mould and mildew, but it can also provide value straight away thanks to the value it will add to the property. Having a waterproof subfloor is a highly sought-after feature as it will give prospective buyers peace of mind.
Searching for waterproof concrete in London? Here at EasyMix, we’re the capital’s go-to concrete supplier thanks to our same and next-day delivery. All concrete is mixed to your specifications, and you only pay for what you actually use! No more worrying about whether you’ve ordered too much. Sounds good? Feel free to get in touch with our experts today – we’re happy to help!