We all know concrete to be a hardwearing and functional construction material, but we don’t tend to think of it as a premium flooring option. In this article, we will be taking an in-depth look at polished concrete flooring, the benefits, the treatment process and why you should consider one for your home.
What is polished concrete?
When you think of concrete flooring, you’re probably thinking of the industrial kind. Unlike industrial concrete flooring, polished concrete has been treated with a chemical densifier to fill the pores and blemishes of the material and ground down with very precise machinery. The end result is a smooth, even floor with a wonderful sheen to it.
Where can polished concrete flooring be used?
- Connecting areas: polished concrete flooring is perfect for creating a seamless link between inside and out. For example, kitchens with patios.
- High-footfall areas: thanks to the robust yet presentable nature of polished concrete flooring, it’s perfect for high-traffic retail areas like shop floors.
- New builds: polished concrete is ideal for new builds. This is because the build can be planned around the material’s weight.
What are the benefits of polished concrete flooring?
- Simple to clean: thanks to the extensive treatment process which fills up all of the pores, polished concrete is very simple to clean. Mopping the floor every week or so should do the trick.
- Long-Lasting: polished concrete is an extremely durable flooring option, lasting for much longer than other surfaces, such as wood. If maintained correctly, it will retain its sleekness and last for up to 100 years.
- Safe (non-slip): while polished concrete flooring might look slippy given its distinctive sheen, in reality, it’s quite slip-resistant. It’s worth noting that it must be kept clean and dry in order for this to be the case.
How much does it cost?
Polished concrete is certainly a premium flooring option but, given its many benefits, could help you save money in the long run.
It’s not easy to put a price on how much a polished concrete floor will cost given variables like the number of rooms, the size of those rooms and the particular finish you’re after but you can expect to pay around £50 per square metre for polished concrete flooring.
- Concrete is highly efficient in terms of its thermal mass, making it an excellent partner for underfloor heating.
- Most polished concrete floors are cast in one section, covered and left to cure. This process will be a great deal faster in the summer months.
- 28 days must pass before freshly-poured concrete can be polished. However, work such as kitchen installations can continue.
Home improvements and developments require the highest quality materials, and EasyMix are specialists in high quality concrete. We can deliver and pump the exact type and amount of concrete you need, whenever you need it, thanks to our same and next day delivery service. For more information about what we do, please contact us today.